National Historic Corridor
By Gary D. Joiner
The State Commemorative Area Mansfield Battle Park (Phase 1)
The battle park contains about 15 percent of the battlefield. The park itself contains the bulk of the interior Union army lines. Mansfield was the last major Confederate victory of the war.
Battle of Mansfield (Phase 2)
This, the actual Sabine Crossroads, is located about seven tenths of a mile south of the park. Remnants of the original intersection still exist. Here the Union forces held briefly, before their line collapsed and the bulk of the Union supply wagon train was captured.
Battle of Mansfield (Phase 3)
This is the point where fighting finished due to nightfall. It is located about one mile south of Phase 2. It is very historically significant – it was the site of very vicious fighting in 1864 and the terrain/road grade is intact today; Richard Taylor planned his attack for the next day at this site; and it was here that the orders were sent to General Tom Green to go to Blair’s Landing. The site is in imminent danger of destruction due to lignite mining. It has been placed on the highest priority for study.
Union Army Mass Burial Trenches
Recorded on an old map and located near phases 2 and 3, this site contains hastily constructed Union trench lines. The site is in imminent danger due to lignite mining. It has been placed on the highest priority for study.
Ten Mile Bayou
This is the site of one of the brief cavalry fights between Pleasant Hill and Mansfield.
Carroll Jones Mill (Carroll’s Mill)
This is the site of another cavalry fight. Carroll Jones was a free black man who operated what appears to be one of the few water powered gristmills in the South. Following the fight, the site was the night camp for the Union cavalry division led by Brigadier General Albert Lee on April 7, 1864. Lee made the first contact with General Richard Taylor the next day at the Battle of Mansfield. This mill was also known as Richardson’s Mill.
The site is less than two miles north of the original town of Pleasant Hill. At the turn in the road here, the Union cavalry under Brigadier General Albert Lee, first met resistance. The Confederate cavalry was under Texas Brigadier General Tom Green, a hero of the Battle of San Jacinto in the Mexican War. Green’s orders were not to engage the Union forces but to conduct a reconnaissance in force to slow the Union column. Green would also do this at Carroll’s Mill and at Ten Mile Bayou.
This DeSoto Parish location was the site of fighting on April 9, 1864. After the war, the village was moved south into Sabine Parish. This is the site of some of the heaviest fighting of the campaign. Richard Taylor’s battle plans were made here although this was not intended to be the battle site. Taylor was surprised by the presence of troops under Union Brigadier General Andrew Jackson Smith. The battle was a tie but the Union commander Nathaniel Banks decided to retreat to Grand Encore and the battle became a strategic defeat for the Union.
This small village was the site of a male and female college campus at the time of the battle. It served as a marshaling point for the Texas troops going to the battle of Mansfield and Pleasant Hill and was used as a hospital after the battle.